Monday, April 29, 2013

La Pura Noche, Calderas at Night


Thick, wet clouds passed over and through Calderas in shifting shapes and with surprising speed and there were flashes of lightening that turned the night sky yellow in one instant and lilac in another. 

I read in the rooftop stairwell until the pages turned dark, my eyes strained and I thought of my mom, in a sententious mom voice, "you're going to ruin your eyes like that!"

From my perch on top of the house I tried to feel the sensation of inhaling a cloud and a horse and two black shadowy figures passed by and I took their pictures.

Debating whether of not to go to the tienda, I decided to venture out for some healthy snacks (they don't exist) and photos. I bought 'Hit' chocolate marshmallow cookies, three watermelon bon-bons and a snack sized bag of lays MAX! (MSG!)

Suly was in the store buying 7-up for two-year-old Samuelito, who had a fever and who as always, was in the arms of nine-year-old Daniella, who was playing mom.  

Hiding in a shroud of clouds and moisture, the muchachos crowed audaciously and enjoying the anonymity, talked a little bolder. 

I took a video and now I can hear the crowing muchachos, the church, the crying babies and all of the night-time street sounds of Calderas anytime I start to miss this place. 








No comments:

Post a Comment